This week on the Gross sales Hacker podcast, we interview Dan FougereCRO of Datadog. Dan is a 20+ yr veteran of know-how gross sales and has seen four of his final 5 corporations turn out to be unicorns.
Dan talks about the important thing qualities of nice gross sales management and learn how to be an efficient government along with being an excellent gross sales chief. Dan additionally discusses his deep background in enterprise gross sales and the way closing $10M+ offers has knowledgeable his strategy to forecasting.
Should you missed episode 46, test it out right here: PODCAST 46: Easy methods to Leverage Procurement in Gross sales w/ Donna and Chris Donato
- 1 What You’ll Study
- 2 Subscribe to the Gross sales Hacker Podcast
- 3 Present Agenda and Timestamps
- 4 Gross sales Hacker Podcast—Sponsored by Refrain and Outreach
- 5 About Dan Fougere: An Introduction
- 6 Constructing a Repeatable Management System
- 7 Dan’s Tenets of Pipeline Era
- 8 The Largest Problem to Promotion is Loyalty to Your First Staff
- 9 7 Methods to Decide Your Subsequent Firm
- 10 Sam’s Nook
- 11 Don’t Miss Episode 48
What You’ll Study
- Correct forecasting at each the business and enterprise degree
- Tips on how to decide your subsequent firm and assess a market
- Constructing a tribe of nice business leaders
- Managing to the correct quantity and find out how to use quotas to keep away from “metallic on metallic”
- Why each rep must prospect and the significance of pipeline era
Subscribe to the Gross sales Hacker Podcast
Present Agenda and Timestamps
- Present Introduction [00:09]
- About Dan Fougere: An Introduction [02:43]
- Constructing a Repeatable Management System [19:04]
- Dan’s Tenets of Pipeline Era [23:48]
- The Largest Problem to Promotion is Loyalty to Your First Workforce [34:20]
- 7 Methods to Decide Your Subsequent Firm [36:32]
- Sam’s Nook [45:59]
Gross sales Hacker Podcast—Sponsored by Refrain and Outreach
Sam Jacobs: Hiya and welcome to the Gross sales Hacker Podcast. We’ve obtained an excellent present at present for you. We’ve received Dan Fougere, the Chief Income Officer of Datadog. Datadog is nicely north of 100 million in annual recurring income. Dan’s obtained over 20 years of gross sales expertise, and particularly has insights on gross sales and management. I feel it’s a very, actually good present.
Now, we need to thank our sponsors. The primary is Refrain.ai. Refrain data, transcribes, and analyzes enterprise conversations in actual time to teach reps on find out how to be turn out to be prime performers. Take a look at refrain.ai/saleshacker to see what they’re as much as.
Our second sponsor is Outreach.io. They’re the main gross sales engagement platform. Outreach helps gross sales reps by enabling them to humanize communication at scale and by automating the soul-sucking guide work.
Outreach can also be operating Unleash 2019. That is the good gross sales engagement convention and it’s going to happen March 10th-12th in San Diego. Jump over to unleash.outreach.io and use the code, SHPOD, to save lots of $100 off your ticket.
With out additional ado, let’s take heed to our interview with Dan Fougere.
About Dan Fougere: An Introduction
Sam Jacobs: Hey, everyone. It’s Sam Jacobs. Welcome again to the Gross sales Hacker Podcast. We’ve acquired an distinctive present for you at present. We’ve obtained Dan Fougere on the present. He’s answerable for Datadog’s international gross sales technique and execution. Dan, welcome to the present.
Dan Fougere: Sam, nice to be right here. Thanks for having me.
Sam Jacobs: Welcome to the nice and cozy embrace of the Gross sales Hacker Podcast. We need to get to know you somewhat bit earlier than we dive into a few of the areas the place we expect you’re an skilled. Your title is Chief Income Officer, the corporate is Datadog. Inform us what’s Datadog. What does Datadog do?
Dan Fougere: Datadog is a SaaS software program firm, the main platform for monitoring and analytics for as we speak’s trendy infrastructure. Datadog is the one answer that brings collectively infrastructure, software monitoring and log administration, all into one software. We will dramatically scale back the quantity of effort required to arrange monitoring, and in addition assist corporations make the strikes to the cloud quicker.
One of many issues that’s nice concerning the firm is, or one of many issues that attracted me to Datadog is the power to execute on innovation. Identical to nonstop innovation, and we’re pushed to try this by our clients.
Constructing a Repeatable Management System
Sam Jacobs: One of many belongings you talked about is this idea of a repeatable management system. What’s a repeatable management system, and the way does it inform your profession, and your decisions, and the senior government that you simply’ve develop into?
Dan Fougere: Primary, for me, is create a collaborative protected surroundings for fixed studying. Actually give attention to enablement, but in addition have respect for individuals, and have empathy, and have a progress mindset.
Carol Dweck wrote this guide, Grown Mindset, the place, what occurs for lots of people, is that they construct up these protecting partitions based mostly on their earlier achievements. That really inhibits you actually attending to that subsequent degree. When you get past as a rep you’re gonna study to do a deal, and as a pacesetter you’re gonna discover ways to rent a rep. However ultimately you study these material experience expertise, after which it turns into about you and your capacity to develop, and the way you interact with individuals, and the way they really feel once they interact with you.
I need to be sure that’s part of how we construct nice leaders right here, and the way we additionally be sure that gross sales individuals, despite the fact that we’re pushing them actually onerous, that they really feel revered they usually really feel like we’re treating them the suitable means with help whereas we push them arduous.
RELATED: How To Be A Nice Gross sales Supervisor: 10 Important Qualities For Success
Dan’s Tenets of Pipeline Era
Sam Jacobs: One of many issues that you simply’ve acquired an enormous concentrate on pipeline era. Stroll us by way of a few of your philosophies there simply because I feel we’re on the identical web page. You’ll be able to’t make any cash for those who don’t have any pipeline. What are your tenets, what are your rules with regards to constructing pipeline?
- Make sure that it’s clearly said to everyone that that is necessary.
A mistake I feel a number of gross sales individuals make is that they assume that, “Chilly calling is for once I was in SDR, once I was 22.” It’s not. Chilly calling just isn’t lifeless. It’s not the only duty of selling or SDRs. You need to ensure you regularly work in your expertise, and also you’ve obtained to take duty for creating pipeline.
- Making a collaborative, protected surroundings for fixed studying.
Encourage sharing of what’s working. If everyone has that mindset, and when you’ve got this collaboration setting, and also you’ve additionally acquired the enablement going, then it’s such as you continually simply get a bit of bit higher day by day. It additionally is best for patrons, too, since you’re not simply throwing a bunch of stuff on the wall hoping that it sticks, you’re actually refining your message and your method in order that once you do interact with a buyer, you’re having beneficial interactions and priceless engagement.
- Monitor pipeline era.
We truly delineate between pipeline that’s been generated all through outbound efforts, and pipeline that’s generated by way of inbound leads, so we’re SDRs. That approach we will get a extra correct view of the reality, then we will additionally assist individuals get higher who perhaps are falling down in these areas, and alter a number of the enablement and coaching that we’re doing.
The Largest Problem to Promotion is Loyalty to Your First Staff
Sam Jacobs: When you consider the most important mistake or collection of errors that you simply see individuals in your state of affairs, who’re first-time “Chief Income Officer”, so any person that perhaps was a Gross sales Director, or perhaps a VP of Gross sales, they usually’re promoted into a task the place they personal the quantity for the corporate, what do you assume the most important errors most individuals in that place are likely to make?
Dan Fougere: There’s a set of enterprise books by a man identify Patrick Lencioni. He talks concerning the idea of your first workforce. I used to be all the time simply so tremendous loyal to the gross sales workforce. These are your brothers and sisters who you struggle battles with, and also you go to warfare with, and you’ve got heroic adventures. That loyalty is tremendous deep. However on the similar time, as you turn into a better degree chief inside a corporation, your first workforce is not the gross sales group, your first staff is the opposite execs–the CFO, Basic Counsel, CMO, CEO. Whoever the opposite people are on the working workforce, government workforce, and you want to ensure you have nice relationships with these people, and that you simply’re contemplating the perfect curiosity of the corporate, and the most effective curiosity of your friends in your first workforce earlier than you contemplate the perfect curiosity of the gross sales workforce.
I feel that’s an enormous change for lots of people. That’s gonna assist the corporate have the ability to obtain higher, ’trigger you don’t need to over index or over emphasize the wants of the gross sales workforce on the expense of the remainder of the corporate ’trigger that’s gonna do injury to the corporate.
7 Methods to Decide Your Subsequent Firm
Sam Jacobs: There’s a ton of capital on the market that’s being deployed into early stage corporations. Individuals are making an attempt to determine, how do I decide the best firm? Stroll us via how do you consider? How do you make that call? How do you decide the correct firm?
Dan Fougere: Thus far, I’ve been at 5 startups. One was a mistake and I obtained out of there in three months simply ’trigger it took me three months to get a brand new job. However the different 4 have all grow to be unicorns whereas I used to be there. Two have gone public, final one is IPO prepared, this one might have some good issues occurring this yr.
- Is there a macro driver within the financial system or in know-how that’s instantly gonna help your progress? For Datadog, everyone’s shifting to the cloud. You possibly can simply see by AWS’ superb efficiency. That rising tide will increase all ships. That’s one factor that you simply need to search for.
- Have they got an actual technical differentiation? Datadog has one thing referred to as tagging that underlies every thing we do, and it permits us to work within the cloud. One thing that’s architectural that’s a defensible differentiation. Additionally I feel, however differentiators are fleeting, so additionally a confirmed capability to convey significant innovation into the market is necessary.
- Are corporations prepared to pay some huge cash? It’s quite a bit simpler to maneuver the needle on dramatic progress for a corporation when any person spends one million dollars versus going out and doing lots of of smaller offers. What I’ve seen is even when one firm, or one or two corporations are prepared to pay one million dollars a yr or extra, then you definitely in all probability have one thing that you would be able to repeat.
- Is it a powerful and revolutionary model? Are corporations which have rather a lot governance in place choosing the right know-how?
- Is there repeatability within the gross sales cycle? As a gross sales chief, what I search for, are there some gaps that I can fill? Is that this usually a wholesome enterprise however they’re lacking an outbound gross sales movement, nice gross sales individuals, enterprise gross sales workforce, promoting worth? Issues like that the place I see, “Hey, they’re doing nicely. But when that they had these issues then we might actually turbocharge this factor.”
- Are they somebody who actually cares concerning the buyer? Do they make it a precedence in the whole lot they do to construct one thing that’s lasting? That’s like what I search for, and that’s what I noticed at Datadog that basically hooked me once I met these guys.
- Are you able to “roll with their crew?” Once I met the founders right here, I knew that by working with them each day, they might make me get higher as a result of they’re superb, tremendous gifted, arduous driving. Go work with people who find themselves gonna push you and make you higher.
Sam Jacobs: Hey, everyone, that is Sam’s Nook. A very nice interview with Dan Fougere, Chief Income Officer of Datadog, and anyone that’s been constructing corporations for over 20 years.
He’s acquired an incredible quantity of expertise. There’s a phrase, “Individuals don’t keep in mind what you say, they keep in mind the way you make them really feel.” It’s unusual, however as you go up, as you turn into a senior government, one of many huge errors I made was considering that my job was to hit the quantity.
That’s not true, truly. As a senior government, your job is partially to hit the quantity, however the primary job is to align with the chief group, and to not create extra work for the CEO. You can’t simply be an advocate on your individuals. That’s an enormous problem for lots of first-time managers as a result of your intuition is that you’re a defender of your individuals. That may be a positive hearth approach to exit the group, as a result of your job as an government is to align and converse on behalf of the corporate.
That’s a very important problem as you develop and as you evolve in your management profession. I might encourage you to actually embrace that concept, that as you develop larger, it’s not nearly being proper, it’s about your capability to work together and affect your friends.
Don’t Miss Episode 48
In case you wanna take a look at the present notes, see upcoming friends, play extra episodes from our unimaginable lineup of gross sales leaders, go to www.saleshacker.com/podcast-subscribe. You may also discover the Gross sales Hacker podcast on iTunes or Stitcher. For those who take pleasure in this episode, please share together with your friends on LinkedIn, Twitter, or elsewhere.
Hopefully at this level, you’ve both nominated anyone for the Gross sales Hacker Prime 50 Awards, or you will Unleash. Keep in mind that the code for Unleash is SHPODand you are able to do that at unleash.outreach.io.
Should you’ve obtained a terrific concept or a visitor for the present, for those who wanna get in contact with me, discover me on Twitter or LinkedIn. We’d love to listen to from you.
Lastly, thanks once more to our sponsors: Refrain the main dialog intelligence platform for top progress gross sales groups, and Outreach the main gross sales engagement platform. So Refrain and Outreach are the rationale that we’re capable of offer you this superb content material. I’ll see you subsequent time.
This can be a sponsored visitor submit from a Gross sales Hacker companion.